Curried Steak and Kidney Pie
British pub-goers, please don’t be mad, I gave your beloved steak and kidney pie a twist!
This dish makes for wonderful comfort food, especially with warming Indian spices and aromatics filtering through the meat- and potato-studded gravy.
Cook it in a cast iron pan, or in a casserole or pie dish, and feel free to swap out the beef for venison, , bear, pork, or lamb. If you’d like to reduce the strong flavours of the kidneys, soak in milk in the fridge overnight.
- Prep Time30 min
- Cook Time1 hr 30 min
- Total Time2 hr
- Yield4 servings
- 1lb (454g) beef, venison, pork, or lamb kidneys
- 1lb (454g) beef, venison, pork, or lamb chuck, shoulder, or blade steak, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 2 tablespoons (18g) flour
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (7g) curry powder
- 1 teaspoon (2g) garam masala
- 2 tablespoons (28g) butter
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1-2 red or green chilies, de-seeded and minced
- 4 cups (1L) water or beef/game stock
- Homemade or store-bought pie pastry for lid