Chicken of the Woods Red Curry
This chicken of the woods (Laetiporus sulphureus) red curry is an easy weeknight meal using wild foraged mushrooms.
Using pre-made red curry paste allows you to have this dish on the table in well under 45 minutes!
- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time20 min
- Total Time35 min
- Yield4 servings with rice
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) vegetable oil
- 1/2lb (225g) tender pieces of chicken of the woods mushrooms, broken into bite-size chunks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small thumb-size piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) Thai red curry paste (more if you like it spicy)
- 1 14oz (440ml) can coconut milk
- 1 small zucchini (courgette) sliced into coins or half moons
- 1 large bell pepper (or equivalent of different coloured peppers), chopped
- 2 cups (60g) fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) fish sauce (or vegetarian equivalent)
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon (9g) cornstarch
- Fresh cilantro to garnish
Heat oil in a deep skillet or pot over medium high heat.
Add the mushrooms, onions, garlic, ginger, and red curry paste and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
Add the coconut milk and 1.5 cups (375ml) water to the pot and stir well.
Simmer for 5 minutes, then add zucchini, peppers, spinach, fish sauce, and lime juice.
Simmer for 10 more minutes.
Mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons (30ml) of cold water in a small bowl.
Add it to the curry and cook, stirring, until everything thickens.
Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve with jasmine rice. Enjoy!